Lakeland Orienteering Club (LOC) has members living in the area from Barrow and Millom in the West to Kirkby Stephen in the East, and from Shap in the North to Carnforth in the South.
There are many ways to enjoy the sport of orienteering.
- Competitive events from small local ones to large (2000 people+) national/international ones.
- Virtual (smartphone/watch) courses, where the controls are virtual.
- Permanent Orienteering Courses with markers on the ground.
The following list of useful links covers clubs, associations and other aspects of orienteering.
The Maprun LOC courses are normal orienteering courses except that there are no physical markings on the ground identifying the location of the control sites. Instead, you use the Maprun app on your phone. It will ‘beep’ at each control site.
The Family Project has set up a series of family beginner challenge course mapruns suitable for all.
Maprun is an app which runs on both Android and Apple mobile phones and GPS enabled tablets. It can be downloaded free of charge.
If you are thinking about starting orienteering Lakeland Orienteering Club is the best place to be. There is so much experience within the club. Everyone is friendly and willing to help, read more from Laura.
Welcome to the LOC coaching page
- Development Plan 2018-2019
- IOF Middle Distance Description
- Sportident contactless punching operation
- SI manager equipment and services
- Creating the Event Description files from Purple Pen
- First Aiders
- Event Information
- Emergency Event Cancellation Procedure
- Organising and Planning Events
- Past Results 2001-
- Organising Major and National events
- Coaching documents