LOC 2020 Night Urban Series using MapRun
While waiting for traditional orienteering events to resume LOC is offering a Night Urban Series of events using the MapRun app. Courses are £2 a run payable at the end of the series or £10 for the series. Juniors under 16 must run with an adult. Participants can run or walk the courses at a time that suits them, but to compete in the series they must start after 5pm. Competitors must wear high vis and use a head torch. They will need to have a smartphone, have downloaded the MapRunF app and will have to have the facility to print off a PDF map unless they wish to follow the map on their phone (which can be tricky especially in poor weather).
See the LOC MapRunF User Guide for further advice on downloading and using MapRunF.
Night Urban Series final 19 Dec Current leader Board
|Start Block||Area||Suggested Parking||Course||Terrain||Details||Results|
|31 Oct to Nov 6||Kendal (central)||Booths Car Park Wainwrights Yard, Kendal LA9 4DP||
|Urban with some in woods.||Urban, with some steep allyways. Long goes into Serpentine woods.||
|Nov 7 to Nov 13||Ulverston (north)||Brewery St Car Park LA12 7LR||Long 5.8k Short 4k||Urban with some in park.||Urban, with some steep allyways.||
|Nov 14 to Nov 20||
|Kendal Leisure Centre, Burton Road, LA9 7HX||Long 4.8k Short 3.1k||Urban with some in park.||Urban||
|Nov 21 to Nov 27||Ambleside||Car Park King Street, Ambleside, LA22 0BZ||Long 4.7k Short 3.5k||Urban with some in park.||Urban||
|Nov 28 to Dec 4||Ulverston (south)||Southern car park, Priory Road, LA12 9HT||Long 5.3k Short 3.5k||Urban with some in park.||Urban||
|Dec 5 to Dec 11||Kendal (west)||Peppercorn car park, alias Abbott Hall car park, off KirklandLA9 5AL||
|Dec 12 to Dec 18||
Car park , Back Gate B6255,
|Urban||Urban, with some steep grassy slopes and a sheep field.||
- Each week there will be a long and a short course.
- There are no markers of any description at the control sites.
- Anyone wishing to participate in the Night Urban Series Challenge will need to complete the course within the designated start block (7 days), and after 5pm.
- The recorded time for the first run on the course within the designated start block will be counted as part of the Challenge.
- It is recommended that a printed copy of the map is used.
- If you have data switched on, your results will be automatically uploaded in the app after the course is finished. If not, you can upload your results when you have a wifi connection.
- Be careful of others when turning sharp corners, running when the conditions are wet and be careful crossing roads.
- When moving between high buildings the gps signal in MapRunF make take a few moments to catch up when you arrive at a control. You may need to wait a few seconds.
Courses are £2 per run payable at end of series, or £10 for the series.
A copy of the map and the PIN code for activating the course can be obtained from the day prior to the start date from Jerry Purkis firstname.lastname@example.org
This is an informal challenge. At the end of the series the highest scoring Senior M/W, Veteran M/W and Junior M/W will be publicised on the LOC website. Prizes will be awarded to the winners.
Best 4 out of 7 results will count.
The following people have planned the courses for the Night Urban Series.
Dick Towler, Matt Rooke, Nick Howlett, Matthew Horne, Jerry Purkis, Andrew Smith, Graham Capper