Turkey Race 3 - Bethecar Moor
An excellent way to end 2017
Sat 30 Dec 2017
The controls, including the finish, will be enabled in contactless mode so that those with SIAC dibbers should not need to physically punch the controls. However, note that it will be necessary to punch the start controls which will not be programmed in contactless mode.
Some notes on using SIACs are attached.
Type of event: Local, Social
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Oxen Park
- Grid Ref: SD313881
- Postcode: LA12 8HW
- Latitude: 54.28047
- Longitude: -3.05630
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking at Abbot Park Farm, signed from Bandrake Head (LA12 8HW) & Oxen Park.
Please park neatly & TIGHTLY please. £1/£2 towards (farmer) Carole’s chosen charity.
Registration & Start Times
Registration and download will be in the tea room by the house. £4/£2 (juniors).
Dibber hire – free, but £30 if you lose it! Discount/prizes for anyone looking like a Rudolph, Santa or Polar Bear!
Starts from 11.00 -12.00.
Courses close at 1pm.
Self-starts – don’t forget to CLEAR.
Please keep gates shut or as you find them.
There will be 3 courses:
- Rudolf Round – 1.8km (Yellow). Collect maps at registration. Follows walls, fences, tracks, streams and marshes. Welli’s recommended.
- Polar Bear Trek (tech 4/5)– 2.5km
- Santa Sleigh Ride (tech 5) – 4.5km
The map is 1:7,500 with a NEW extension.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
- Seniors: £4
- Junior & Students: £2
Hire dibbers will be available, free of charge but with a £30 charge if lost.
Farm land and Bethecar Moor – open exposed moorland.
Toilets on site.
Abbots Park Farm Tea Shop will be open, with excellent with hot drinks, soup, all day breakfasts and other goodies.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Simmonds family and Carol McNeill
Planner: Ellie Simmonds and Jess Ensoll
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.