Turkey Race 3 - Thwaite Head
The third and final race of the post-Christmas event series
Wed 30 Dec 2015
Type of event: Local, Social
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Graythwaite
- Grid Ref: SD361909
- Postcode: LA12 8BQ
- Latitude: 54.311
- Longitude: -2.9816
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be on forest roads from the grid reference SD 361 909.
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be fron 10.15AM.
Start times between 11 and 11.30AM.
A course with phi loops, and a yellow course using an extended map with some brand new terrain.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Juniors and students £2
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Chris Heppenstall
Planner: Chris Heppenstall
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.