Turkey Race 2 - Skelghyll Woods
A joint WAROC/LOC event
Fri 28 Dec 2018
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Woodland
Here are the preliminary results, note that the actual event race times are correct but for the split time to control 1 please deduct 60 minutes from that split time, the others follow correctly, until the finish where 60 minutes should be added to that negative split.
Otherwise, please let me () know if there are any errors in the results.
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Waterhead, Ambleside
- Grid Ref: NY376033
- Latitude: 54.42186
- Longitude: -2.96260
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be at the main Waterhead Car Park (NY376033)
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10.00.
There is a 15 / 20 minutes walk uphill to start, please cross main road with care - young children must be supervised!
- Long 3.5km
- Short 2.1km
- Yellow 1.5km.
Note that this is a tough area - these will feel longer!
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
- Seniors: £4
- Junior & Students: £2
Runners using their own SI cards should bring them to registration to streamline the registration process and the information accuracy for the results.
Festive theme and fancy dress is actively encouraged.
Hire dibbers will be available, free of charge but with a £30 charge if lost.
It is woodland terrain with some steep slopes, crags and rocky ground.
Contacts / Officials
Planner/Organiser: Martin Bagness (WAROC)
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.