Turkey Race 2 - South Bethecar
Parts of 2016 Turkey Race Series
Wed 28 Dec 2016
The second of the LOC Turkey races.
There will be discount/prizes for anyone looking like a Rudolph, Santa or Polar Bear.
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Fell
An excellent day for the event, with a good turnout, the cafe was a pleasant feature as well.
The third Turkey Race is hosted by Warrior on the 30th December at Yewdale Woods.
The attached photos were provided by Jo Cleary.
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Oxen Park
- Grid Ref: SD313881
- Postcode: LA12 8HW
- Latitude: 54.27662
- Longitude: -3.04770
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking, registration and download will be at Abbot Park Farm. Access will be signed from the Bandrake Head and Oxen Park. Please park neatly and tightly.
There will be a parking charge of £1/£2 towards Carol's chosen charity (the farmer).
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be from 10.00 to 11.30 in the Tea Room by the house.
Hire dibbers will be available at no charge, the cost of a lost dibber will be £30.
Runners using their own SI cards should bring them to registration to streamline the registration process and the information accuracy for the results.
PLEASE DOWNLOAD EVEN IF YOU RETIRE SO THAT WE CAN BE SURE ALL RUNNERS ARE BACK.
Individual timed starts from around 11.00 - 12.00. Follow the track North for approx 500m to the start, please keep gates shut.
Download will be located at registration.
Courses will close at 13.00.
- Rudolf Round – 1.8km (Yellow). Collect maps at registration. Follows walls, tracks, streams and marshes.
- Polar Bear Trek (Short tech 4/5)– 2.5km
- Santa Sleigh Ride (Long tech 5) – 4.5km
The map includes a NEW extension. The scale will be 1:7,500 for the Yellow and Short tech but may be 1:10,000 for the Long tech course.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Juniors & students: £2
Bethecar Moor is open exposed moorland – please come prepared.
The tea room will be open for hot drinks, soup, all-day breakfasts and other good things.
Since this is a Lake District area in winter all runners should dress appropriately and must carry a whistle. It may be compulsory to carry a cagoule.
Contacts / Officials
Oganiser: Simmonds family/CarolMcNeill
Planner: Ellie Simmonds
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.