Turkey Race 1 - Birkrigg
2017 Turkey Races
Tue 26 Dec 2017
The controls, including the finish, will be enabled in contactless mode so that those with SIAC dibbers should not need to physically punch the controls. However, note that it will be necessary to punch the start controls which will not be programmed in contactless mode.
Some notes on using SIACs are attached.
Type of event: Local, Social
Type of terrain: Heathland
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Great Urswick
- Grid Ref: SD280747
- Latitude: 54.16299
- Longitude: -3.10589
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
280747 - crossroad near quarry
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10.00.
10-15 minute walk to start with a mass start at 11.00.
Assistance in collecting controls would be appreciated (and will be rewarded). Please contact Iain () if able to help.
A Yellow course and a 1 hour score course will be offered.
Courses close 12.00.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
- Seniors: £4
- Junior & Students: £2
Festive theme and fancy dress actively encouraged.
Hire dibbers will be available, free of charge but with a £30 charge if lost.
Open with an area of woodland.
Contacts / Officials
Planner/Organiser: Iain Smith Ward
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.