Tech Race 3 - Stickle East
Part of 2016 Tech Race Series
Wed 20 Apr 2016
Superb open fell, with masses of rock and contour detail. A gem of an area; ideal for orienteering at this time of year; an event not to be missed.
Type of event: Local, Training
Type of terrain: Fell
That the Splitsbrowser, winsplits and the usual results/splits are now working correctly for all courses.
I've managed to re-instate almost all of those who did not 'clear' or 'start' but unfortunately it was not possible to fix one runner's result.
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Broughton in Furness
- Grid Ref: SD214932
- Postcode: LA20 6BA
- Latitude: 54.32442
- Longitude: -3.20564
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking on minor road from Broughton Mills to Hall Dunnerdale. Limited parking. Please park responsibly and share transport if possible.
Registration at grid ref SD214932
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be from 17.00 - 18.15
Runners using their own SI cards are requested to bring them to registration to streamline the registration process and optimise the information accuracy for the results.
Starts will be from 17.30 - 18.30
There will not be a mass start and runners should not start within 30 seconds of another runner.
TD5 (technically difficult) long (4.9km / 260m) and short (3.7km / 200m) courses are offered.
An orange course is also offered.
Courses will close at 19.30, please return to download immediately even if you retire, but because of the shortage of daylight at these events any less experienced orienteers must start before 18.00 and undertake to get back to download by 19.00.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the day only
Seniors - £4 with an additional £2 for non-BOF members
Junior & Students - £2
Superb open fell, with masses of rock and contour detail.
This is an exposed area of the Lake District. All runners must dress appropriately and may be required to carry a waterproof caguole.
A whistle must be carried.
Dogs not allowed on event area due to the presence of sheep and possibly lambs.
Contacts / Officials
Planner/organiser: Alan Heppenstall 015395 34793 / 07795 693662
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.