Tech Event 3 - Torver High Common
Part of the 2018 Tech Series
Wed 25 Apr 2018
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Fell
Pre Event Info
The controls, including the finish, will be enabled in contactless mode so that those with SIAC dibbers should not need to physically punch the controls. However, note that it will be necessary to punch the start controls which will not be programmed in contactless mode.
Nearest town: Torver
- Grid Ref: SD257943
- Latitude: 54.33074
- Longitude: -3.12657
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be at Burlington Quarry, Broughton Moor. Follow road from SD262934 up into quarry until reach assembly area.
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be from 17.00 - 18.15.
It will be 300m walk to start.
Runners using their own SI cards should bring them to registration to streamline the registration process and the information accuracy for the results.
Starts will be from 17.30 - 18.30
Inexperienced orienteers should start before 18.00.
There will not be a mass start and runners should not start within 30 seconds of another runner.
COURSES CLOSE AT 19.30. PLEASE DOWNLOAD IMMEDIATELY AFTER FINISHING, EVEN IF YOU RETIRE, SO THAT WE CAN BE SURE ALL RUNNERS ARE BACK.
2 courses will be offered:
- Long Technical (Blue) - 6.5km 250m
- Short Technical (Green) - 3.7km 180m
The 2 courses will be on separate maps.
Blue map scale will be on 1:10000, Green on 1:7500.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
- Seniors: £4 (non-BOF members £6)
- Juniors & students: £2
Fantastic runnable open Lake District open fell, with very few line features.
Since this is a Lake District area in all runners should dress appropriately and must carry a whistle. It may be compulsory to carry a cagoule.
Remember that you orienteer at your own risk.
Contacts / Officials
Planner/Organiser: Nick Howlett
Controller: Roger Smith
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.