SEE #3 - Holme Fell
Part of the 2017 LOC Summer Evening Event Series
Wed 7 Jun 2017
Type of event: Local
Pre Event Info
The course controls and the finish will be enabled in contactless mode so that those with SIAC dibbers should not need to physically punch the controls. However, note that it will be necessary to punch the START controls (manually) which will not be programmed in contactless mode.
There will also be SAFETY controls after the FINISH which must be punched by all runners - this is necessary to enable us to confirm that all runners have returned from the course.
Nearest town: Coniston, Cunbria
- Grid Ref: NY316017
- Latitude: 54.40651
- Longitude: -3.05518
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking at Hodge Close quarry (GR NY316017). Space may be tight, so please share vehicles where possible.
Be aware that the A5084 (the road running along the west shore of Consiton Water south of Torver) will be closed to all traffic from 19.00 on Wednesday evening, until 05.00 the following morning.
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be from 17.00.
Runners using their own SI cards are requested to bring them to registration to streamline the registration process and optimise the information accuracy for the results.
Starts will be from 17.30 - 18.30.
Both courses will have a punching start and there will not be a mass start, runners should not start within 30 seconds of another runner.
One hour score event, 20 controls with each control worth 10 points, 5 point penalty for each part-minute late back.
Also a yellow course. Be aware that, owing to a relative lack of paths in the competition area, the yellow course uses a number of other line features, including walls, fences and streams, so careful map reading skills rather than fast running will be required!
Courses will close at 19.45, please return to download immediately after finishing even if you retire.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the day only
Seniors - £4 with an additional £2 for non-BOF members
Junior & Students - £2
Holme Fell provides typical, first class, South Lakeland orienteering terrain. Intricate contour and rock detail in a mix of natural woodland and open fell.
This is an exposed area of the Lake District. All runners must dress appropriately and may be required to carry or wear a waterproof caguole.
A whistle must be carried.
Contacts / Officials
Planner/Organiser: Jo Cleary
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.