Schools Event 1 - Ulverston Leisure Centre
Part of 2018 Schools series
Thu 26 Apr 2018
Type of event: Schools
Type of terrain: Parkland
These results are far from complete because we were expecting the 34 children whose schools had told us they were coming, and not the 104 who actually arrived.
There are two reasons why we ask for names in advance (48 hours please). Firstly so we can print enough maps; and secondly so that we can have everyones name in the IT system beforehand and can concentrate on producing the results on the day.
Hopefully we now have most names and things will run smoother at Fellfoot on Thursday 3rd May. Please let Selwyn know if there are new children coming along at .
Apologies to those who did tell us they were coming – and still don't appear in the results.
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Ulverston
- Grid Ref:
- Latitude: 54.18632
- Longitude: -3.08658
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Registration & Start Times
15.30 to 17.15
3 courses will be available for children in Years 4, 5, and 6
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Selwyn Wright
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.