Park Race 1 - Barrow Park
Part of the 2017 LOC Park Series
Sat 2 Sep 2017
The course controls and the finish will be enabled in contactless mode so that those with SIAC dibbers should not need to physically punch the controls. However, note that it will be necessary to punch the START controls (manually) which will not be programmed in contactless mode.
Some notes on using SIACs are attached.
Type of event: Local-(D), Other
Type of terrain: Parkland
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Barrow in Furness
- Grid Ref: SD204697
- Latitude: 54.11757
- Longitude: -3.21889
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be open by 09:45.
Runners using their own SI cards are requested to bring them to registration to streamline the registration process and optimise the information accuracy for the results.
Start times will be from 10.30 - 11.30.
Both courses will have a punching start and there will not be a mass start, runners should not start within 30 seconds of another runner.
Courses will close at 12.30, please return to download immediately after finishing even if you retire.
There will be three courses:
- Two sprint courses (<lengths>).
- A Mini Park Race course (about 2km).
The two sprint courses form the main Park Race competition with competitors running both. Competitors completing both courses shall be ranked by the sum of the time taken for each course.
Results will also be published by course and some competitors wanting a shorter run may choose to run only one course.
The Mini course is intended for novice runners and juniors and will be easier in terms of navigation. Competitors must punch the finish for each course completed and must download their SI card prior to re-clearing and starting the next course.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry fees shall be £4 for seniors (M/W21+) and £2 for juniors (M/W20-) and full-time students.
There is no SI card hire fee, but there will be a charge (£30) for lost cards.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser/Planner: Rob and Lizzie Browne
Series Coordinator: Matt Rooke
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.