Night Urban 5 - Ambleside
Part of the 2017/18 LOC Night Event Series
Wed 24 Jan 2018
Type of event: Local, Night, Urban
Type of terrain: Urban
Pre Event Info
The controls, including the finish, will be enabled in contactless mode so that those with SIAC dibbers should not need to physically punch the controls. However, note that it will be necessary to punch the start controls which will not be programmed in contactless mode.
Nearest town: Ambleside
- Grid Ref: SD 376047
- Postcode: LA22 9BB
- Latitude: 54.43548
- Longitude: -2.96441
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking and Registration are located at the University of Cumbria, Ambleside Campus, Rydal Road, Ambleside.
Parking is metered until 8pm.
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be from 17.30 - 18.15.
Runners under 16 must run with an adult
Runners using their own SI cards should bring them to registration to streamline the registration process and the information accuracy for the results.
Open start times will be from 18.00 - 18.30 but runners who will find it difficult to start by 18.30 should contact the organiser. There will also be a mass start at 18.30 for those competitors who want head to head racing.
There is a single course of around 4.5k, with a cut off creating a shorter course of 3.5k. For the short course follow the dashed line from the cut-off point (named Short Only), please remember to punch the additional control in the cut-off leg, this is typically named 'Short only' on the map.
Courses will close at 20.00 and you must return to DOWNLOAD as soon as possible even if you retire to avoid the event team having to initiate a search at the end of the event.
Please note that for the urban events runners will be using streets where there will also be pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles, runners should be considerate and carry some visible reflective material for safety. Traffic and other usage should be light at the time of the event but please be safe and courteous.
A suitable lamp must be carried and a spare lamp is strongly recommended.
Remember that you orienteer at your own risk.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
- Seniors: £4
- Junior & Students: £2
Hire dibbers wil be available, free of charge but with a £30 charge if lost.
A classic mix of urban terrain, including two parkland areas, a housing estate and the centre of the town of Ambleside.
Both courses contain the option of a river crossing: the river is only to be crossed at the shallow point indicated on the map.
Toilets are available within 100m of the car park and Start.
Contacts / Officials
Planner/Organiser: Selwyn & Katie Wright
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.