MapRunF on Bethecar Moor CURRENTLY POSTPONED FOR A FEW WEEKS
Wed 21 Apr - Tue 27 Apr 2021
Long and Short MapRunF courses on open fell.
Maps will be sent out on 20th April.
The MapRunF locations may also be taped.
Type of event: Virtual
Pre Event Info
Bethecar Moor is partly high and exposed. Competitors should review the weather forecast before attending. In the event of being immobile the situation could become serious, competitors are strongly recommended to carry a mobile. Although mobile coverage may not cover the entire area so text calling the emergency services is something the competitors should consider; this works sometime when a voice call may not.
Ideally visit Bethecar Moor as a pair. If you intend to do the event individually, please log your arrival and return with a colleague.
Nearest town: Lowick
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: LA12 8DB
- Latitude: 54.28904
- Longitude: -3.07174
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Best Parking – track junction at SD 304 886 above Nibthwaite Grange
Long Course 3.7k
Short Course 2.8k
Parking to start approx 1k
Finish to parking 500m.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Download the Courses from MapRunF: Cumbria South
Maps and pin codes from Jerry
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Carol McNeil
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.