MapRunF Night Urban Series W1, Kendal (Central)
Part of the 2020 LOC Night Urban Series
Sat 31 Oct - Fri 6 Nov 2020
While waiting for traditional orienteering events to resume LOC is offering a Night Urban Series of events using the MapRun app. Courses are £2 a run payable at the end of the series or £10 for the series. Juniors under 16 must run with an adult. Participants can run or walk the courses at a time that suits them, but to compete in the series they must start after 6pm. Competitors must wear high vis and use a head torch. They will need to have a smartphone, have downloaded the MapRunF app and will have to have the facility to print off a PDF map unless they wish to follow the map on their phone (which can be tricky especially in poor weather).
See the LOC MapRunF User Guide for further advice on downloading and using MapRunF.
Type of event: Virtual
Pre Event Info
- Grid Ref:
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Registration & Start Times
The course must be run after 6PM for the challenge to .....
The following course will be offered:
Long - 3.1km
Short - 2.2km
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
The entry cost will be £2 per run, with the option to pay £10 for all of them, payable at the end of the series, ..... etc.
Urban with some steep alleyways, .....
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.