Night Terrain - Guards Wood
Part of 2015-16 LOC Winter season
Wed 3 Feb 2016
Type of event: Local, Night
Type of terrain: Woodland
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Coniston
- Grid Ref: SD 304 978 (parking)
- Postcode: LA21 8AL
- Latitude: 54.37111
- Longitude: -3.07161
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Roadside of Shepherd’s Bridge Lane at SD 304978; please park tidily.
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be from 17.30 - 18.15.
Runners using their own SI cards should bring them to registration to streamline the registration process and the information accuracy for the results.
Open start times will be from 17.45 - 18.30.
There will be an optional Mass Start at 18.30 for those who prefer that format.
Convoluted phi loops etc.
- Long course - 4.1km
- Short course – 3.3km
COURSES CLOSE AT 20.00.
PLEASE DOWNLOAD EVEN IF YOU RETIRE SO THAT WE CAN BE SURE ALL RUNNERS ARE BACK
Since this is a Lake District woodland area in winter all runners should dress appropriately and must carry a whistle, should carry a mobile phone and it may be compulsory to carry a cagoule.
All runners must carry a suitable lamp and should also carry a backup lamp.
Remember that you orienteer at your own risk.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Seniors: £4 with an additional £2 for non-BOF runners
Junior & Students: £2
Guards Wood is a small, typical steep wooded south lakes area, generally runnable with a few rock features; low crags and some boulders. The boundary of the area is clear being surrounded by walls and fields.
Don't cross any fences; these guard the dangerous quarry crags.
There are a few new unmapped windblown individual trees that can be avoided by looking ahead.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser/planner: Derek Allison
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.