LOC Night Terrain - Cunswick Scar
Part of 2015-16 LOC Winter season
Wed 20 Jan 2016
Type of event: Local, Night
Type of terrain: Heathland
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Kendal
- Grid Ref: SD489924
- Postcode: LA8 8HA
- Latitude: 54.32530
- Longitude: -2.78852
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking in the lower (bare rock) parking area to the E of the quarry car park (reached first from Kendal).
Note that the postcode gives a location downhill approx 600m to the E of the parking). The OS grid ref. is the parking location.
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be from 17.30.
Runners using their own SI cards should bring them to registration to streamline the registration process and the information accuracy for the results.
Start Times will be from 18.00 - 19.00 (Courses close at 20.00)
Short course - about 3km
Long course - about 5km
Courses will close at 20.00
All runners must carry a suitable lamp and should also carry a backup lamp.
Remember that you Orienteer at your own risk.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Seniors: £4 with an additional £2 for non-BOF runners
Junior & Students: £2
Cunswick Scar is a gently undulating open limestone pasture and is very runnable with few brambles or gorse bushes to impede progress. There are a few low crags and some boulders. It is heavily used by dog-walkers (and joggers) during the day, and cattle are sometimes grazing there.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser/planner: Simon Cane
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.