Galoppen - Birkett Common
LOC Cumbrian Galoppen
Sun 2 Oct 2016
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Fell
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Kirby Stephen
- Grid Ref: NY768035
- Postcode: CA17 4LE
- Latitude: 54.42631
- Longitude: -2.35914
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be at NY768035 off Tommy Road which is a turning off the A683 at NY757038.
Registration and download will be adjacent to the car park area.
Registration & Start Times
Registration Time - 10.00 - 12 noon.
Start Time - 10.30 - 12.30, please allow 30 mins to get to the start.
Runners using their own SI cards are requested to bring them to registration to streamline the registration process and optimise the information accuracy for the results.
The time for the return from the finish is about 15 mins and courses will close at 3pm.
Returning runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back.
Yellow to brown courses will be offered, as follows.
|Length (km)||Climb (m)|
Note that there are taped sections in the Yellow and orange courses, marked by tapes on canes.
The map scales are 1:7,500 Yellow, Orange, Light Green and Short Green, and 1:10,000 for Green, Blue. and Brown.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Electronic Punching will be used, all will use EOD
Seniors - £6 with an additional £2 for non-BOF members
Junior & Students - £3
Dibbers will be available for hire at £1 but note that if lost they will be charged at £30
Parking will be charged at £1 per car, to be paid on entry
The area is made up of open fell with rock, marsh and contour detail, there are no footpaths in the area. The map has recently been updated by Martin Bagness.
Cagoules - May be compulsory depending upon prevailing conditions on day.
Whistles must be carried and there will be a check at the start.
Toilets will be available in the Assembly area.
The Green Canteen are attending for food and drinks and Compass Point for all your equipment needs.
Dogs under control will be allowed in the car park area.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Norman French 01539 724731 / 07857 542533
Planner: John Nash
Controller: Sheila Hobson
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.