LOC Club Championships
Birkrigg Common & Sea Wood
Sun 10 Jan 2016
More details on times, are attached.
Type of event: Local, Social
Type of terrain: Heathland
Pre Event Info
This is the annual LOC event with a handicap for everyone in the club and the first person back will be the next Club Champion.
The race will be followed by food and a social event at Greenodd Village Hall (SD 313 826) for all members to meet there for mulled wine and mince pies. Food to be served at 1:30pm.
Please indicate which of the food options you would like:
- Pie, Peas & Pud (default if no other option is selected)
- Gluten free option
- Vegetarian option
Nearest town: Ulverston
- Grid Ref: SD 287 738
- Postcode: LA12 9RE
- Latitude: 54.15465
- Longitude: -3.09181
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be at Sunbrick Farm (SD 287 738)
Yellow - 1.6km / 40m
Orange - 1.9km / 60m
Light Green - 2.7km / 100m
Green - 4.5km / 145m
Blue - 5.4km / 210m
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry fee £5.50
Birkrigg is a fast, runnable open common with a good path network, some hidden pits/depressions and limestone outcrops. To the south is Sea Wood, again runnable with a reasonable path network and some not so easy to find boulders.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser/planner: Rob Browne
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.