LOC Anniversary 50@50 Score Event - Stickle Pike
Mon 31 Aug 2020
A return to ‘normal’ orienteering & a chance to celebrate our 50th anniversary!
However this is a CLOSED event, only open to LOC, WCOC, BL, SROC & Warrior members.
We look forward to inviting as many folk as possible to an ‘Iain Smith-Ward Special’ with a Score and an Orange course.
The Start times are now included in the 'Entries' section.
As usual the controls including the Finish will be SiAC enabled.
Competitors should come changed ready to run and to leave afterwards before changing. All competitors must use the hand gel provided at the Start and Download.
We will be giving every competitor a piece of LOC birthday cake when they download.
We look forward to seeing you on the 31st August.
This event requires PRE-ENTRY only - see 'Entry Details' section.
There will be no splits provided at download or results on display at the event but the results will be presented on the LOC website ASAP afterwards as usual.
It is important that everyone observes the following COVID restrictions.
Social Distancing - All competitors must observe the current social distancing requirements at all times. Whilst on their course competitors should remain socially distanced and maintain 2m distance at the Start, control sites, the Finish and at Download.
Fitness to Attend - Competitors must not attend the event if any of the following apply:
- They or someone in their household have displayed symptoms of Covid-19 in the past 14 days
- They or someone in their household has been tested positive for Covid-19 in the past 14 days
- The test and trace service has asked them to self-isolate at the present time
- A medical professional has advised or asked them to self-isolate in the past 14 days
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Fell, Urban
Please send any comments or queries about the results to ''.
Thanks to Iain for Planning and Gill and Judy for Organising and Controlling some real Orienteering in an excellent area on a pleasant day.
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Ulpha
- Grid Ref: SD 214 933
- Latitude: 54.32905
- Longitude: -3.20904
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be at Kiln Bank Cross (GR SD214933) & there will be a one way system so that competitors can leave shortly after their runs.
Approach will be from the Duddon valley (GR SD213953) & the exit will be SE to Broughton Mills as signposted.
Registration & Start Times
The event will be PRE-ENTRY ONLY with start blocks from 10.00 - 13.00 (to be extended if necessary).
In order to manage the flow of runners through the start all runners must use the selected start window if possible.
There will be 2 courses on Stickle Pike:
- A 50 minute score course
- An Orange course
For the score course there will be 50 controls with 10 points per control punched and 10 points per minute penalty for lateness.
The Orange course will be suitable for juniors and novices.
The start will be adjacent to parking and the finish is 150m from car parking
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
- Seniors: £5
- Juniors/Students: £3
Competitors can select their start times & make the payment online on Si Entries (here), which is now open for entries. Pre-entries will close on Thursday 27th August.
The Entry List is available here.
Entries can be edited by the person who placed the entry here,
Competitors who own a SI Card 5, Si Card 8 or Pcard will need to borrow a higher capacity SI card because of the limited capacity in terms of storing punches per event. If in doubt please check this comparison table.
Excellent open mountain terrain with lots of contour detail, rocks and crags.
There will be no traders, food stalls or toilets.
Since this is an open mountain area please remember to wear or carry appropriate clothing.
A whistle must be carried on the course.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Iain Smith-Ward
Organiser: Gill Browne 01229 716748 before 9.00PM
Controller: Judy Burge
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.