Park Race 2 - GSK Sports Complex (Ulverston)
Sat 27 Oct 2018
Type of event: Local, Sprint
Type of terrain: Parkland
The series points for the first 2 Park Events are now attached.
Please let me () know if you see any apparent errors in the results and I'm still looking at a few results. Note that the Short (A or B) course results include some runners who downloaded the first part of their Long (A+B) as well.
Pre Event Info
This will now be the second of the series of 3 events offering an introduction to orienteering for newcomers but also high speed racing for the experienced. A two part race, each of about 2km, for senior runners and a 'Mini' race aimed at younger children age 12 and under.
There are 3 event in the park series. The best 2 results will count to the overall series results with prize giving at the final event. For the sprint overall result both courses are to be run with total time being used for the standings at each event.
The prizegiving will be at the Brockhole event once it has been rearranged.
Please stay to have a shower and relax with a drink for the bar and some food from the barbecue!
The controls, including the finish, will be enabled in contactless mode so that those with SIAC dibbers should not need to physically punch the controls.
If you are using contactless punching there is no need to touch the control boxes, and it has been noted that some runners hit them hard enough to knock them out of the ground and potentially damage the control box. Please don't do this because a failed control would disrupt the event results for all the competitors.
However, note that it will be necessary to punch the start controls which will not be programmed in contactless mode.
Some notes on using SIACs are attached.
Nearest town: Ulverston
- Grid Ref:
- Latitude: 54.19223
- Longitude: -3.07104
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be at the Sports Complex car park will be used, unless it is full in which case the main GSK car park can be used.
GSK Sports Complex is accessed from the A590 down North Lonsdale Road. The junction, by the auction mart and Premier Inn, will be signed. Go down North Lonsdale Road to the very end and turn left. Follow signs at the next roundabout to the appropriate car park.
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be inside the sports centre foyer from 10:00.
Starts will be between 10:30 and 11:30.
Courses will close 12:30.
- 2 short sprint courses (A and B) - 2.3km and 2.4km
- 1 Mini sprint course - 1.2km
Runners either can do one of the sprint courses (either A or B) or both A and B. If doing both sprint courses you will punch a transition control when finishing the first, and another transition when you start the second. Do not clear your SI Card between courses. This will be explained in detail on this website in advance and at registration.
The map is based on 2017 ISSOM by Martin Bagness.
Please make sure you are familiar with the sprint map specification, and in particular what is forbidden to cross. There is a legend on the map.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
- Seniors - £5.00
- Juniors - £2.50
- Family £12 (individual entries for two adults and two children under 18 from the same family)
If running both sprint courses you need an SI card that can take 50 punches. If you have a v5 or v8 card, or none at all, you will be able to borrow a high capacity one.
Pay once and run any two courses.
SI cards are available for hire, no cost but £40 replacement cost if lost.
The GSK Sports Complex consists of playing fields, a few buildings, a grassed slag bank, and several small areas of woodland. The sprint courses will also visit an area to the south of the main complex on another slag bank. This includes a more complex area of woodland and sea shore. The football pitches are out of bounds.
Trail or fell running shoes are recommended. There is very little hard surface and it is rough in places.
Toilets and showers are available in the sports centre.
The bar will be open for the duration of the event and sells snacks and hot and cold drinks.
The LOC Juniors will have a fundraising barbecue on the terrace outside the sports centre. Please support them.
There is a children's playground adjacent to the sports centre.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Holly Orr
Series coordinator: Matt Rooke
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.