CompassSport Cup and Trophy Regional Heat - Breasty Haw and Bowkerstead
Sun 15 Mar 2020
This is the Regional Heat of the national inter-club competition with entries being made through the Club Captains as described in the 'Entry Details' section. The Cup (large clubs) and Trophy (small clubs) will be scored as separate competitions.
The clubs competing are:
|Compass Sport Cup - each club's top 25 will score|
|Lakeland Orienteering Club (LOC)|
|Manchester and District Orienteering Club (MDOC)|
|West Cumberland Orienteering Club (WCOC)|
|Compass Sport Trophy - each club's top 13 will score|
|Border Liners (BL)|
|Solway Orienteers (SOLWAY)|
|South Ribble (SROC)|
The winning Cup team and the winning Trophy team qualify for the Final, to be held on the 18th October 2020 in Sutton Park, West Midlands.
The final details will be available in early March.
Timing system: SportIdent; controls will be SIAC enabled
Type of event: National
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Satterthwaite
- Grid Ref: SD345913
- Latitude: 54.31330
- Longitude: -3.00809
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
The entrance to parking at Grid Ref. SD345913.
Parking fee: £2 per vehicle.
You are strongly advised to share transport for environmental reasons and as parking will be tight, along forest roads. One-way system.
Registration & Start Times
Enquiries for pre-registered runners & Registration for EOD courses: 10.00 - 12.15.
Hired SI cards should be collected from Enquiries.
Start times: 10.30 - 12.30.
WHITE/Near Start on the edge of the Race Arena for Classes 7, 8B, 9A & 9B, 10, Light Green, Yellow
RED/Far Start 2.2k along undulating forest roads with no significant climb for classes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 8A
CompassSport Cup & Trophy classes:
|2||Short Brown||M40+, M20-|
|3||Blue Women||Women's Open|
|5||Green Women||W45+, W20-|
|7||Vets Short Green||M70+, W60+|
|8A||Junior Men Green||M18-|
|8B||Junior Women Short Green||W18-|
|10||Super Vets Very Short Green||M80+, W70+|
Note: Some classes may be combined on to the same course; confirmation will be given in the final details.
Courses 11 and 12 will not be competitive in the Cup and Trophy competitions.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
All entries are to be made by Club Captains to the Organiser by 29 February 2020.
- Seniors £10
- Juniors & Students £5
Entries should be in line with the 2020 Competition Rules .
Entry on the day for non-CompassSport Cup/Trophy courses: Light Green and Yellow only.
- Seniors: £8 / £4 (Yellow course)
- Juniors and Students: £4
SI dibber hire - Adults £1, Juniors and students free. There will be a charge of £30 for a lost SI Card.
Typical Lakeland forest, steep and rocky.
Race arena will contain: Toilets, Food stall, Shelter tent, First Aid. Limited room for club tents (bring a small one!) Another toilet situated near the Red/Far start.
Safety and Risk:
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser. Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. Cagoules etc may be required.
Dogs are permited in the car parking and race arena areas on a lead and under strict control. Please ensure that you clear up any mess.
Dogs are not permitted on any courses.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Christine Robinson (LOC) cmidgleyrobinson (AT) gmail.com
Planner: Andy Robinson (LOC)
Controller: Eddie Speak (MDOC)
Mapper: Martin Bagness (WAROC)
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.