Bethecar Moor (Turkey Race 3)
Re-scheduled Turkey 3 event
Sun 7 Jan 2018
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Fell, Woodland
Pre Event Info
The controls, including the finish, will be enabled in contactless mode so that those with SIAC dibbers should not need to physically punch the controls. However, note that it will be necessary to punch the start controls which will not be programmed in contactless mode.
Some notes on using SIACs are attached.
Nearest town: Oxen Park
- Grid Ref: SD313881
- Postcode: LA12 8HW
- Latitude: 54.28333
- Longitude: -3.05613
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking at Abbot Park Farm, signed from Bandrake Head (LA12 8HW) & Oxen Park.
The car parking space is very limited, please car share if possible, and please park neatly & TIGHTLY. £1/£2 towards (farmer) Carole’s chosen charity.
Registration & Start Times
Runners using their own SI cards should bring them to registration to streamline the registration process and the information accuracy for the results.
Starts 10.30 – 12.30 – follow taped route 300metres to start
Courses close at 13.30
Self-starts – don’t forget to CLEAR and CHECK.
Please keep gates shut or as you find them.
There will be 3 courses:
- Yellow – 2km using a 1:7,500 map. Collect maps at registration. Follows walls, fences, tracks, streams and marshes. Welli’s recommended.
- Short – 3.7km
- Long – 5.7km
The Long & Short courses are on the same map at 1:10,000
The map includes a NEW extension.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
- Seniors: £4
- Junior & Students: £2
Hire dibbers will be available, free of charge but with a £30 charge if lost.
Farm land and Bethecar Moor – open exposed moorland.
We now have the use of a new piece of woodland which is a mix of mature and regrowth coppice (scratty) – the first part of all courses will use this before going out onto the moor.
Yellow – mainly tracks and paths with a stream crossing (wet feet). No good for prams but OK for off road buggies.
There are toilets on site.
Abbots Park Farm Tea Shop will be open, with excellent hot drinks, soup, all day breakfasts and other goodies.
Some items were left at srtart at the Turkey 2 event - please email "" if you would like to collect from the Bethecar Moor event.
Since this is an exposed Lake District woodland area in winter all runners should dress appropriately, must carry a whistle and it may be compulsory to carry a cagoule.
Remember that you orienteer at your own risk.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Ellie Simmonds and Jess Ensoll
Organiser: Simmonds family and Carol McNeill
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser.
Runners MUST download even if they retire so we can be sure everyone is back and that we do not need to start a search and rescue.
Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Help and Information: Anyone needing any advice about Orienteering should talk to the Organiser.